November 13, 2009

Swords & Knifes I - sawfish sword

This piece is around 150 years old. It is a very rare piece and not easy to find. There is a smaller one, very similar to that one in the historic museum in Bern, Switzerland. This sword's origins are  probably from Indonesia (or Malaysia).
The blade descendes from a sawfish. The crossguard and the grip are of metal. The size of the blade is 58 cm (22.83") and the grip is 16 cm (6.3").
Indonesian people also used a very smaller sawfish sword for rituals.
The sawfish is today under protection of species!

By the way, they've also used a sawfish sword in Pirates of the Carribbean - Dead Man's Chest in 2006

I have no idea how much such an old sawfish swords costs and I have not more informations about this sword. I'm thankful for every information. (info@ravens-nest.ch) I'll also visit the Historic Museum in Bern in a week or two to found out more about that sword.




Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment