November 13, 2009

Swords & Knifes II - Tizona, Sword of El Cid



This was my first sword. I found this piece in scrap metal when I was 9 years old. My parents were not happy about my new achievement. I loved swords already as a tiny little girl. My first "sword" was carved of wood from my dad when I was around 6 or 7 years old.
The name of this sword is Tizona and it's El Cid's sword. Rodrigo Díaz de Vivar known as El Cid Campeador, who was a Castilian nobleman and was fighting the Moors in Spain. The original sword is 103 cm long and 1.1 kg. My sword is 77 cm (30"). The blade is 62 cm and the grip with pommel is 15 cm long.
The Tizona is Spains most cherished relict and it's exhibited at the Museo de Burgos. The original sword is dated 1002.

In Burgos (Spain), the statue of "the Cid...Image via Wikipedia




Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment